Top City is the last arrival among luxury department stores in Taichung. It was opened at the end of 2011 and is operated by Far Eastern Department Stores. This is a taiwanese company that runs several malls in Taiwan and Mainland China.
Top City building consists of 20 floors (14 floor above grounds). The floor guide can be found here. Top City shopping mall is fiercely competing with the nearby Shin Kong Mitsukoshi for the market share in Downtown Xitun shopping district. Customers are the winner, now they have plenty of choices among a great number of shops, dining places and cinemas in this area.
Best of Top City Department Store
Top City has plenty of shops, especially selling international brands, and plenty of restaurants. But if you are more interested to crafts and food with a distinct taiwanese (or at least asian) taste, this is a list of the more interesting shops.
- 8th Floor. Plenty of exciting shops selling Taiwan high end handcrafts and souvenirs. Don’t miss the elegant tea-ware and pottery at Lin’s Ceramic Studio and Lohas shops. Also, have a look at Tittot (art glass) and New Chi (the finest porcelain). Gallery Chuan features the creations of several different taiwanese artists. Some of their items are very affordable. Also Franz, the famous Taiwanese porcelaine maker, has a shop here. If you are looking for cheaper souvenirs, there is also a small shop of the National Palace Museum in Taipei. It sells a few items, including beautiful Koji potteries.
- 2th Floor. The luxury brands are here. One of them is Shiatzy Chen, a Taipei fashion house that aims to create the “new look of China”.
- 4th Floor. Among many women fashion shops, here you will find the beautiful Chinese dresses, especially chipao, made by Londee, a Taipei brand. On the same floor there are a few typical jewelry shops, specialized in jade and coral.
- 9th Floor. Hands Tailung runs a successful large shop on this floor. They claim to run a Japanese “creative life store”. Here you will see an amazing amount of specialized “tools” to manage almost every aspect of the daily life of Japanese office ladies and “sarari-men”.
- B2 Floor:
- Din Tai Fung, the Taichung branch of the worldwide famous and affordable Taipei restaurant specialized in dumplings and xialongbao. Beware, long queues on weekends.
- City Super: one of the most luxurious supermarkets in town. If you are looking for international food , this is one of the best places in Taichung. It is expensive.
- While you are waiting for your table at Din Tai Fung, we suggest to have a look and try the delicacies shops in the B2 food court.
- 11th Floor:
- Theme Restaurants: half of the 11th floor has an Old Japan setting, the other half is trying to look as the Macao imitation of Venice. The most popular restaurant is probably Eatogether. Eatogether is a buffet “all you can eat” restaurant, that puts a special emphasis on the freshness and the quality of the ingredients. Many dishes are actually cooked under your eye. Since a lot of people want to eat here, booking in advance is recommended.
- 12th Floor:
- Food Republic is one of the main attractions in Top City Department Store. It is a food court with a nostalgic “Taiwan in the 1950’s” setting. So it is a kind of night market but more hygienic and comfortable. The are more than 25 food stalls, so this is a great place to sample different taiwanese street food and to stay on budget.
Top City is shining new and huge. There are plenty of shops and brands, restaurants, a very attractive food court and a top scale supermarket. Difficult not to find what you are looking for. Top City also is just side by side with Shingong Sanyuan (Mitsokushi), Tiger City is not far. This makes the best shopping area in downtown Taichung.